Hearing tomorrow on prayer for Naser Rahman's remand
Staff Correspondent, Sylhet
Hearing of the prayer for remand of former lawmaker and Moulvibazar district BNP chief Naser Rahman will be held tomorrow at the Sylhet Sadar magistrate's court. An official letter had been sent to the Comilla Jail authority for sending Naser Rahman to Sylhet for producing him before the Sylhet Sadar cognisance magistrate's court on that day. Earlier on February 28, Sylhet Kotwali police submitted the remand petition in the case filed by much talked contractor Nuruzzaman. Meanwhile, the task force members got some significant information from the Sylhet city BNP chief Ariful Haque Chowdhury and Moulvibazar Pourasava Chairman Foyzul Karim Moyun, also general secretary of Moulvibazar district BNP, who were taken on remand in the same case on Thursday. They may be taken on fresh remand soon, sources said. Five bank accounts of Ariful Haque Chowdhury and his wife Shama Haque Chowdhury had been confiscated, an official source said. One of the 50 corruption suspects Sylhet city BNP chief Ariful Haque Chowdhury surrendered to the Army camp at Sylhet stadium on February 25. He was immediately handed over to the Kotwali Police Station, wherefrom Arif was produced before the Sadar magistrate's court that ordered sending him to Sylhet Central Jail that day. On February 17, Nuruzzaman filed the case against Naser Rahman and seven others including the Sylhet city BNP chief Ariful Haque Chowdhury, Moulvibazar Pourashava chairman and a few Roads and Highways (R & H) officials. In the case, Nuruzzaman alleged that on October 10 of 2003, Naser demanded from him Tk 2 crore toll in connivance with the others. Ariful Haque Chowdhury, one of the men closest to the former finance minister BNP stalwart M Saifur Rahman, went into hiding after the take over by the present caretaker government. During the BNP-led government's rule, Arif was believed to be the most powerful man in the district as he had the blessings of Saifur Rahman. It also caused commotion among the BNP-led alliance at times. Moulvibazar Pourashava Chairman Foyzul Karim Moyun, also close to the former finance minister M Saifur Rahman, was sent to the jail on 20 February as he surrendered before the Sylhet Sadar magistarte's court in connection with Nuruzzaman's case. The joint forces arrested contractor Md Nuruzzaman on February 22 on charge of grabbing government lands, tender looting etc. He was later handed over to the Sylhet Kotwali police. That day police brought charges against him under the Special Powers Act and produced him before the Sylhet Sadar cognisance magistrate's court, which sent him to jail with one month's detention. Nuruzzaman first came to limelight four years ago after he had brought charges of demanding toll against the then finance minister's son and lawmaker from Moulvibazar Sadar Naser Rahman. Naser asked for the toll as Nuruzzaman was awarded some road construction and reconstruction jobs by the R & H department that time, the latter alleged. He was then caught in some cases lodged by BNP and JCD men, allegedly orchestrated by Naser and his men.
|