Committed to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 5 Num 980 Sat. March 03, 2007  
   
Sports


Beckham vows to keep fighting


Former England captain David Beckham said in an interview published Friday that he was now an "underdog" but claimed he could still "perform at a high level" for another three or four years.

Speaking to The Sun tabloid, the Real Madrid midfielder said: "Whether I get the chance to play for England again is not my decision but I'm a fighter and if I get that chance again I'll take it."

"I still believe I can perform at a high level and that I've got three or four years left," Beckham said, telling the tabloid that he would "still be available for England when I'm playing" in Los Angeles for the Galaxy, whom he will join at the end of the season.

"I will never retire from England, never."

Beckham, who has 94 caps, has been out of the England squad since Steve McClaren took over the England job after the World Cup and has so far not been used during the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

The midfielder also told of how the decision to join the Galaxy was entirely his, and his wife Victoria -- who also used to be "Posh" with the Spice Girls -- only wanted what was best for him and their three sons.

"Going to Los Angeles is absolutely my decision ... I drove it all."

Beckham also echoed comments made by his wife earlier this week, insisting that he and his family live much more docile lives than British tabloids portray.

He told The Sun: "People have said we're going because we're affected by the Hollywood glitz. But I'm not sure that, as a family, we actually enjoy that side of it."