· Cake Mania- Rising Star kids love cake and every occasion needs one. Similarly do school kids, bringing cake to celebrate their birthdays in school. But that's not happening in New Zealand. Due to strict government health guidelines, educators in New Zealand have banned the celebration of any thing with a cake, because it is so darned unhealthy. A birthday salad, anyone?
· Two-Faced Gods- There's buzz about a new deity that is being worshipped in Noida, in northern India. This goddess is 3 weeks old and has been born to factory worker Vinod Kumar and wife Sushma. So what's so God-like about this little 'un? Well to start with she has two faces. Yep! You heard it right, the yet to be named child has been born with two faces and has so far been living 'normally'. Doctor's have no idea what's going on, but its not possible to separate the two fused skulls. She is fed through one mouth while the other one is used by her to suck her thumb. Now here's a whole new meaning to 4-eyed, 2 nosed, s mouthed girl…but is it really wise to worship someone who is literally two-faced?
· Baywatch For The Babes- A Venezuelan TV channel has finally got about to replacing the Simpsons because it is inappropriate for children. All this because The Simpsons 'go against the whole education of boys, girls and adolescents.' So what did they replace it with in order to *ahem* 'educate' children? What else but Baywatch Hawaii? That's right, now they get a dose of beach babes instead of those 'not-conservative' Simpsons. Wish you were in Venezuela, eh?
· Bush Baby Must've Been High- A new research has revealed a shocking truth. It seems that almost 67% of Dollar bills contain traces of cocaine, meaning, that at one stage or another, the notes had been used to sniff cocaine. This explains the needless violence, the lethargy, the sliding economy and the comments made by their leader.
· Distractive Cell Phones- The First Community Bank on Cottage Hill was robbed by a man, who walked in a with a gun and a- cell-phone. Throughout the whole heist he kept chatting on his cell phone. The mobile police department is still on the look out for the robber, who might've been receiving instructions on how to go about the robbery or was just calling mom. 'Hey, ma. Just retrieving some cash from the bank some stupid people left behind.' The man was so distracted that he didn't even notice the security camera which recorded his every movement.
I told you the world is a weird place. And these top 5 news just go about to prove my point. Weird, weird and weird. Till next time,
By Osama Rahman
A visit to novo theatreThe other day, we were scheduled for an academic visit to an important place. Novo Theatre was selected as the sight for us. I was very excited to know this, as I was never there before. However, we took preparations and reached the school little early in the morning. In due time we all students boarded on the bus and the exciting journey started. Girls kept singing and the boys were as usual shouting (or fighting!!!). All these gave a festive look and our teachers were found reluctant to stop anyone doing these. Then I felt I am really hungry as I forgot to take my breakfast. Does it really matter once you are on your way to some place you were never before!!
The bus reached Bijoy Soroni and we were reminded that food is not allowed inside the visiting place. All students were served with sandwich then and within no time we all consumed it. Shortly we reached the spot and all got down from the bus. We all were lined up and I somehow managed to stand in front of the row. As instructed, we started moving inside. WAOW!!! What a beauty!! Inside the hall, it was simply amazing. It was completely dark and to our surprise we then discovered that we are very close to sky (I prefer to say.. a dreamland) and found the stars , moon so close to us. I tried to visualize. is that true? Oh..yes, its all true and am watching all these LIVE. I tried to relate all those I am watching with the knowledge acquired from books. In fact it was a practical class for those theoretical classes. I was really very excited with the briefing as well. In fact, I was silent watching all these.
Then came the second phase. It was named 'LIVING SEA'. We were shown the underwater life. I had a feeling that I am there under the sea and watching those living creatures so closely. What to say!!! We all saw different fishes, jellyfish, octopus and what not. After the sky world, suddenly underwater world…it was completely a different feelings. I was wondering why I have not been here before?
Then the phase came to an end even if I never wanted it. But it's an official visit and we had to come back. Mind you…We all took good number of photographs just as a memory. After the visit, we all again boarded on the bus and the bus started falling back to our beloved Morning Glory. But this time, the students were behaving in a different manner. All were silent including me. Probably all were still in the space or under living sea…who knows!!! Then I decided to keep all my feelings about the visit written in my diary. Such a wonderful visit!! Thanks to our school authority for arranging such a thoughtful and enjoyable visit. No doubt, I am going to remember the day for the days to come. Cheers NOVO THEATRE!!!
By Muftasin Farhan
It is indeed worthwhile to explore some facts along with comparison and commentary. I had taken the time out of my busy schedule to learn about facts about men and women. Perhaps of the facts disclosed may not be totally accurate but most of them have been supported by renowned organizations and have been discovered after much research and tests. Let us take a look at some these facts and add some comparison and/or commentary.
1. Fathers tend to determine the height of their child and mothers their weight- That is very accurate indeed. No wonder most children are born fat. Make sure your wife diets before she gives birth.
2. Women are twice as likely to diet than men although men are likely to be more overweight than women.- Yes, because men don't really care and they don't need to diet, because men tend to not become obese and ugly. And for the record 80% women diet to look attractive and not for any health reasons. Funny, isn't it?
3. Of all people with eating disorders 95% are women and only 5% are male.- Why is no one surprised? Call us gluttons? Look at the damned facts!
4. Fewer women exercise than men, 1/3 report that they never or seldom exercise. And that is why men don't have to diet much. Asking for our secret? Move about! And not just cleaning and cooking…really, move about.
5. Women make 80% of all food purchases.- Food, food, food….that's all women can talk about. Ever heard of a gaming console you food addicts?
6. If an Amish man has a beard, he is married.- Okay…yeah.
7. If a native Hawaiian woman places a flower on her ear, she is available. The bigger the flower, the more desperate she is.- I bet most guys are now vying to go to Hawaii and spot the girl who has a huge flower for an ear…that's not even funny.
8. Men can read smaller print than women, women can hear better.- With all that eavesdropping, we sure could exchange these gifts. Come on God, what can we ever get by reading small prints?
9. Women work two-thirds of the world's working hours, produce half of world's food, but earn 10% of the world's income and own less than 1% of the world's properties.- It's true. We men tend to be lazy and live off women like pests. No woman no food, no man and no happiness…
10. There are 337% more men in the high earning group than women. - After the above facts, that's just unfair.
11. On average women live years longer than men.- Or maybe men just cant bear 8 more years with all the nagging, eating or complimenting. Or maybe all that work and dieting makes men internally stronger than men.
Ref http://pacificcoast. net/~swag/womenfactsChart.htm site http://www.berro.com/entertainment/general_interesting_facts.htm, http://www.nms.on.ca/Secondary/women_facts_ figure.htm
By Kala Bhai
Somethings you should never do
People with advice aren't considered as a scarce resource in our country. Millions of people have billions of suggestions, most of which are useless. So while I don’t know how useful my advice is, most of the things I have mentioned below, learned from my own experience and mistakes.
1.Never inform your Mom that you got 6 Ds in your O' Levels while she is using a big spoon.
2.Never tell your Physics teacher that you wish Sir Isaac Newton had sat under a coconut tree instead of the apple tree.
3.Never,ever, talk about stadiums or shampoo with a man who is bald.
4.Never tell your friend that his/her looks persuades you to believe in Darwinism. Even if it is true to some degree.
5.Never laugh when a kid asks you "where does babies come from?" Your laughing will only increase the kid's curiosity.
6.Never forget to take heart attack precautions before you go for shopping with your girlfriend.
7.Never let your little siblings take broomsticks to the roof.
8.Never tell your Aunt that her diet is not working.
9.This advice is directed only to a particular group: .Never hide your black money inside your pillows. Try some new tricky places like inside the fridge or under the garbage can
The Dog's Daily Diary"
8:00 am - Oh Boy! Dog food!
9:30 am - Oh Boy! A car ride!
9:40 am - Oh Boy! A walk!
10:30 am - Oh Boy! A car ride!
11:30 am - Oh Boy! Dog food!
Noon - Oh Boy! The kids!
1:00 pm - Oh Boy! The yard!
4:00 pm - Oh Boy! The kids!
5:00 pm - Oh Boy! Dog food!
5:30 pm - Oh Boy! Mom! My favorite!
6:00 pm - Oh Boy! Playing ball!
6:30 pm - Oh Boy! Sleeping in master's bed! My favorite!
| Issues | The Daily Star Home
© 2008 The Daily Star