<%-- Page Title--%> Dhaka Diary <%-- End Page Title--%>

<%-- Volume Number --%> Vol 1 Num 143 <%-- End Volume Number --%>

February 27, 2004

<%-- Navigation Bar--%>
<%-- Navigation Bar--%>

First of Phalgun

It was the first day of Phalgun in Bangla year. Some of my friends and I went to the Ekushe Boi Mela in the evening. Being such a special day, the book fair was really jam-packed. We had to struggle and wrestle our way, against the flow of the crowd, just to reach the entrance. Once we were there, we were astonished to see a large number of visitors covering their nose with handkerchiefs. Those who didn't carry any held their noses with their fingers and all of them had a grumpy expression on their face. At first we couldn't guess what was happening but as soon as we got deep within the fair grounds, we found out the source of their agitation. There was dust everywhere. Because of the unusual turnout, and the fact that everyone was going inside even though there was no space, the air inside was thick with dust in them. We quickly departed, as it was quite challenging to breathe and quietly sat outside on a street divider with broken hearts. I guess if people had more places to go to in Dhaka, it would not get so stuffy everywhere.

Shahadat, BUET, Dhaka

Marvellous Experience

My flatmate and I were walking on the legislator grounds for some time. We got a little tired and he suggested that we sit and rest for a while. A tea-seller came by and asked us if we wished to have a cup of coffee. We said no. He reiterated his request but we politely refused again. He kept on persisting and at last we gave in to his demands. The man was saying that if we drank coffee, his family would have some more money to spend. I took a cup of coffee but my flatmate refrained from it. Firstly, the cup was really small, the taste was different and the colour was really odd. What made things really worse was when he told us that the measly cup of coffee cost Tk.12. We were amazed to hear his demand. We handed Tk.4 to him but he got angry. At this point he started to bargain and said that he would be happy with Tk.10 but we refused to pay him any more. He kept on persisting as before and we finally gave him Tk.2 more and got up to leave. By now he had become very rude and told us that if he saw us again, we would have to pay his money. I hope all the readers of SWM ask the price of things from these people before they purchase them to avoid unnecessary embarrassment.

Md. Tohidul Islam, Physics, 2nd year , Govt. Titumir College

A Valentine's Day Tragedy

It was a nice morning on February the 14th, Valentine's day. At about 10:30 a.m. I suddenly heard an odd sound from outside. I rushed to the window and saw a teenage school-going girl groaning on the street. She had somehow fallen down on the street. She had a school uniform on and a schoolbag with her. Immediately a group of students came towards her and it seemed that she was their classmate Ruby. Within minutes, she was taken away for medical treatment by some local people but Ruby was gone forever. She succumbed to with her unknown injury. It was identified later that she was a class eight student of Moazzem Ali High School (Demra). This unfortunate incident changed the whole environment of the area. The death was very mysterious because not a single sore was found on her body.

Rifat-Bin-Salam, Notre Dame College


(C) Copyright The Daily Star. The Daily Star Internet Edition, is published by The Daily Star